Tilley Endurable TM10B Cotton Mesh Hat
In 1984, Alex Tilley a keen yachtsman and art dealer decided to make himself a hat that would stand up to the harshest of weather conditions. The hat would also have to offer water and wind resistance, a chin strap, floating capabilities, a classic appearance and above all top quality workmanship. Once the main features were established he began searching for materials to meet his requirements. He centered his research around cotton canvas, a practical and durable material which has many natural advantages. However after manufacturing the initial prototype it was soon apparent the material was too thick, heavy and shrunk when it got wet. After considerable research and experiments Tilley realized by preshrinking and boiling the canvas it would eliminate the shrinking issue. Preshrunk cotton canvas became the first of many materials to be used to manufacture Tilley Hats.
Tilley hats include:
- Guaranteed for life not to wear out
- Insured against loss for 2 years – all perils
- Certified UPF 50+, the maximum rating given
- Ties on in the wind
- Repels rain
- Secret pocket
- Crushable & packable
- Made in Canada
- Brim size: Front and back 3 12”; Sides: 2 ½”
- Weighs 5 ounces 142 grams
- Fabric is 100% cotton duck. Mesh is 3D layer polyester that is UPF 50+
- Fabrics of all Tilley Hats are certified to block 98% of harmful UVAUVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating.
- Machine wash delicate or hand wash. Re-shape by hand. Air dry. Do not bleach. Wash it frequently or non-removable sweat stains will mar it and possibly rot it.